July 22, 2008

Body Attack

So last weekend I tried something new.....I completed the first step in the process of becoming a group fitness instructor.

About a month ago I noticed a flyer at my local gym seeking group fitness instructors. I love the Les Mills classes that Fitness Works offers and have been attending BodyStep & BodyPump for about 2 years (off and on). When I returned to the gym after having Kaylee I began taking BodyAttack and enjoyed the challenge of the class and the upbeat music. I decided to go for it and sign up for the initial training. My friend, Natalie, is a BodyAttack instructor and she gave me some idea of what the training would consist of; but I had NO idea how hard it would be!!!

I showed up at the training on Saturday morning (July 19th) at the Chandler Fitness Works location. When I arrived I recognized a few people from the gym but about half were total strangers. There was a group of 7 or 8 from Tucson, a girl that flew in from Texas and another from Reno. There were 19 of us in all. We started out by getting to know each other a little bit and then started right into the training. Our trainers got us started by teaching us a BodyAttack class (55 minute class) and then we had a technique class, a choreography class and then some more cardio training trying to build up our stamina. That night we left with an assignment to learn one track (a 5 minute routine already choreographed and set to music) that we had to teach the next day. I was exhausted because I didn't sleep much on Friday night (my mind was racing and I was anxious about the training). I watched the DVD they gave us of the class and listened to my track and was wondering how I was going to learn this and be ready to teach it the next day. I called my friend Natalie and she offered to come over and help me. I was very grateful because she had alot of good advice and was very encouraging!

The next day, Sunday (July 20th), we started at 8am and about an hour into the training we got our first chance to teach our track. We then did a circuit training/cardio workout (that was REALLY hard) and then had time to practice our track again for the final assessment. After a few other workshops it was time to teach our track again for a "grade." I did pass the class....WoooHooo!!! and I learned so much about myself. I am so glad that I accomplished this goal I set for myself and now I have three months to learn the whole class (11 five minute tracks) and videotape myself teaching it. Hopefully after that step I will receive a certification to teach.

Now I know why they call it Body Attack!!!!

If you want to learn more go here




3 comments:

Amanda said...

No picture with this post? I need a picture of you looking all HOT in your aerobic gear getting ready to teach!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

I lіke it when indiνiduals come togеther and
shаrе idеas. Greаt website, stick wіth it!


my webpage: core exercises for kids